|Course : Reston South Commuter Lot|
Location: Reston Parkway at Intersection with Fox Mill Road
Options: 10/13/15/20 Mile Runs
|Distance: 10.0 Miles|
- Leave the parking lot by running east (away from Reston Parkway) on the path along the south border of the commuter parking lot past the purple glass recycling station.
- Follow path into the woods turning right at first "T" intersection (RA marker 30S by the Broderick Bench). Note: when returning, take the 2nd left just past marker 30S.
- Right at second trail intersection (shortly after crossing wooden bridge) at Marker 28, crossing Steeplechase Drive (via the steps or the large under-road culverts) at Marker 27 and following the path to the left.
- Continue east on the trail (Glade Trail) as it crosses to the north (left) side of the stream bed.
- Right at the next trail intersection (Marker 25), and then left on the trail, crossing to the south (right) side of the stream bed passing markers 24-21. Continue across Soapstone Drive at Marker 20.
- Left at the second trail intersection beyond Soapstone (Marker 14), crossing again to the north side of the stream bed where. you will pick up the Fairfax Cross County Trail posts.
- At Marker 10, 5k from the start, trail emerges, turn left onto Twin Branches Road where it intersects with Glade Drive.
- Follow Twin Branches across the Lake Audubon dam, up the hill to South Lakes Drive.
- Right on South Lakes.
- Right onto the path behind the retirement community (Thoreau Place) to Sunrise Valley Drive at the tennis courts.
- Right on Sunrise Valley to intersection with W&OD Trail [Water station located here].
- Continue on pathway along left side of Sunrise Valley to Hunters Mill Road and proceed left along the path for about 1/4 mile.
- Return back to the water station location.
- If running 10 miles, reverse directions of steps 10 through step 1 and return to the start
- If running 13 miles or 15 miles, proceed using the following directions....
- Turn east (towards Vienna) on the W&OD, crossing Sunrise Valley Dr.
- Proceed 1.5 miles crossing Hunter Mill Rd and continuing to bench area situated just beyond the bridge over Difficult Run.
- If running 13 miles, reverse direction and return back to Sunrise Valley Dr and the water station.
- If running 15 miles, proceed another mile east along the path to Clark's Crossing parking lot and return back to Sunrise Valley Dr and the water station.
- If running 20 miles, proceed another 2.5 miles east crossing RT 123 and Park Street and reversing course at the second power pole beyond the mile 11 marker post on the W&OD path. Note, there are water faucets by the Vienna Train Depot (west of RT 123), and inside the Vienna Community Center and the Whole Food store (east of RT 123).
- At the water station, proceed to the start location reversing the directions of steps 10 through step 1.
The first third of this 10-mile run follows the Reston Association’s Turquoise Trail. A map can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bjr5ui4lk084i7t/AACa6OTn9HwAtT_5W9nMAGSPa/Reston%20Trail%20Guides?dl=0&preview=Turqouise+Trail+Guide.pdf&subfolder_nav_tracking=1
Click on the map to enlarge it.