Hunters Woods Elementary School
Colts Neck Road at Steeplechase Drive
5 Mile Run
Measured: 4.8 miles
View: Start Location
- Start in parking lot in front of school.
- Cross Colts Neck Road at the upper school entrance and go about 4 blocks down Paddock Lane.
- Right at the first stop sign on Steeplechase Drive into Hunters Woods Pool area.
- Left in the pool parking lot on the path (beginning of Al Rider short cut) [see note below].
- Right after 100 yards on another path.
- Continue straight on that path for about a mile, crossing Colts Neck Road on a crosswalk, and crossing the stream on wooden bridges twice.
- Right after about 100 yards after the second foot bridge on another path.
- Continue on path for 100 yards and then go over or under Steeplechase Drive (steps or culvert).
- Continue on that path for about 1/4 mile to the first right on another path.
- Continue on that path, paralleling the stream for well over 1/2 mile.
- Cross Soapstone Drive and continue on path through Nature Center for 1/2 mile.
- Left on the first path after Soapstone Drive, uphill to a cul de sac.
- Right on cul de sac (Hunting Horn Lane) for about 50 yards.
- Left on Acton Drive for about 50 yards [Water stop on north side of Glade Drive across from Acton Drive (very hot days only)].
- Left on Glade Drive, continuing for about 1 mile, crossing Soapstone Drive at the stop sign, past Glade Pool [alternative start].
- Left on Triple Crown Road about 1/2 mile after Soapstone Drive, continuing for about 1/2 mile to end.
- Right on Steeplechase Drive for about 1/4 mile.
- Right on Colts Neck Road back to Hunters Woods Elementary School (circling 1 1/2 loops of entry circle to increase run distance to 5.00 miles)
The Al Rider short cut, adopted to avoid running along the shoulder of Reston Parkway for 1 block, makes this course about 1/10 mile shorter than any other course.