|Course : South Lakes Village Center|
|Location: South Lakes Drive at Twin Branches Road||Distance: 3.0 Miles|
- From the parking lot, head toward Cafesano’s and down the ramp or stairs toward the end of the lake.
- Bear right up the hill on the asphalt path through the gray Lakeport townhouses.
- Stay on asphalt path when it curves left to cross the road. Walk between the lake and the townhouses.
- Follow the path to the right, away from the lake. Cross Lakeport as you bear left to path up to Sunrise Valley Drive and left along Sunrise Valley Drive.
- Follow path left downhill and past Lake Thoreau pool. Bear right toward Sunrise Valley as you cross Upper Lake Drive, but turn left onto asphalt path before Sunrise Valley.
- Cross Headlands at Marker 7, stay on path.
- At Upper Lakes [again], turn left then turn right onto path at Marker 9.
- Go left at the Y and cross the bridge.
- Cross Purple Beech and pass Marker 10.
- Bear left at the Y, passing a playground on the right.
- Just before the Ridge Heights tunnel, bear left at two Ys, passing the pool and walking parallel to Ridge Heights.
- Stay straight to continue on path across several streets and through several housing clusters. If you don't see the path directly across a street, look to the right and it will be there.
- Stay straight, passing the Ridge Heights tunnel, and go through the South Lakes Drive tunnel.
- After passing a large, gray building, turn left on asphalt path. Follow path along the lake, eventually going up cement steps and onto Owls Cove Lane.
- Shortly before Ridge Heights Road turn left on wide path between two driveways.
- Right on pathway along South Lakes Drive.
- Cross Ridge Heights Road and turn right onto path. Make a U-turn to continue on path through tunnel under South Lakes Drive.
- Turn right on path between South Lakes Drive and the lake to return to start.
This course description was revised in May 2010 by Kathleen Gohn and Liz O'Toole so that the walkers now go CCW around the Lake Thoreau loop thereby avoiding interference with the surging pack of runners as they and the walkers would try to share the same narrow path at the start.
(click on the Map below to enlarge it)