Lake Audubon Pool
Twin Branches Road, at eastern end of Lake Audubon
10 Mile Run
Measured: 10 mile
View: Start Location
- Exit the Lake Audubon Pool parking lot on the path along the lake near the boat launch ramp.
- Continue up steps to right on path after the path passes to the left along the edge of the Lake Thoreau dam.
- Right on path along Ridge Heights Roadgo through tunnel under South Lakes Drive.
- At top of short hill cross over to Ridge Heights Road.
- Right on Ridge Heights for almost 1/3 mile
- Left onto trail beside Terraset Elementary School for about 200 feet
- Left at trail intersection near SE corner of school (down a steep hill) for about 1/4 mile
- Right at next trail intersection (below South Lakes HS track) for about 500 feet
- Left at the next trail intersection (by raised manhole cover) for about 150 yards
- Follow trail under South Lakes Drive, bearing right toward Soapstone Drive for about 150 yards
- Left on path along Soapstone Drive for about 150 feet
- Right though the underpass beneath Soapstone
- Right at next trail intersection (a "T") after about 100 yards
- Right at next trail intersection, going downhill and crossing to the north side of the stream bed
- Follow trail, bearing left but staying on the north side of the stream bed until a "T" intersection
- Turn left at the "T", cross the stream bed via the wooden bridge and take an immediate right
- Continue under Colts Neck Road and Reston Parkway to the Southgate Recreation Area [Water stop may be located here--hot weather only]
- Continue on trail, to second right after passing behind Dogwood Elementary School (on your left)
- Right onto Cocquina Drive for about 2 blocks to its intersection with Glade Drive [Water stop may be located here (or at next intersection one block up Glade)--cold weather only]
- Left on Glade Drive for about 1 mile
- Right on Freetown Drive
- Second right onto Freetown again (Freetown is a "lollipop-shaped" road and intersects with itself at this point)
- Right on Oslo Rd., crossing Reston Parkway and entering the Hunters Woods Pool parking lot
- Bear right onto trail at far side of pool parking lot for about 200 feet
- Right at next trail intersection
- Right at third trail intersection (just beyond a wooden bridge) after crossing Colts Neck Road
- Cross Steeplechase Drive (via the steps or the large under-road culverts) [Second water stop may be located here--hot weather only]
- Continue east on the trail (Glade Trail) as it crosses to the north (left) side of the stream bed
- Bear right at next trail intersection, crossing back over to the south side of the stream bed
- Continue across Soapstone Drive for about 1 mile
- Left at second paved trail intersection after Soapstone, crossing bridge over to the north side of the stream for about 1/2 mile until steep uphill
- Bear Left on short, steep uphill to Glade Drive
- Cross Glade Drive and continue on path along Twin Branches for less than 1/4 mile to Lake Audubon Pool
Except for the segment between Steeplechase Drive and Twin Branches Road, this course is essentially identical with the course starting at Glade Pool.